Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler


Lisabeth is anorexic but she won’t admit it even to herself. One night after a bad fight with her boyfriend she tries to kill herself. Death appears before her with the Scales of Office. She will be the Black Rider; One of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. She, a suburban teen with an eating disorder, will be Famine. As her supernatural powers grow, so does her control over her own body. She meets the other Horsemen and learns that there are no easy ways out.


When I heard eating disorder I almost put the book down because I hate reading those books. Those stories are too serious and too sad. I’m glad I read it. The story was powerful and the author really captured what it’s like to have an eating disorder. The writing is realistic and heartfelt, but without sacrificing humor. The book is well written and powerful. My only complaint is that she revealed the inside joke about death. I liked that only someone in their thirties would recognize the description of death for who he was. As the book goes on the author gives away the secret with big hints. I like knowing something that the teens in my book club don’t know about the book. I wish she would have kept the secret a little better. I recommend this book to guys and girls who have had or know someone who has had an eating disorder, and to those who like reading about the four Horsemen.



There is a new book in the series.  It will be published on 4/4/2011.  I can't wait to read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Teen librarian living in Colorado.

Followers


Recent Comments