Sunday, October 3, 2010

Notes From a Totally Lame Vampire by Tim Collins



Nigel is a perpetual teen aged loser who happens to be a vampire.  He has no  vampire strength, no ability to hypnotize people with his eyes, and no Robert Pattinson big haired alure.  He lives with his parents (the vampire who turned him) and his little sister (a girl they also turned into a vampire).  Because of the age that he appears to be, he is required to attend school for all eternity.  When a new girl starts at school, Nigel finds true love and sets out to make her his.  
The story is told in the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” diary style complete with drawings in the margins.  The story was okay and geared toward guys 12-14.  The presentation, a book in diary style with drawings, made it seem like it was for younger guys.  “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” was a fun book for elementary kids, but the translation to teen fiction is not really there.  I love the idea of a lame vampire who is weak and unattractive, but I thought Catherine Jinks did it better in “The Reformed Vampire Support Group”.  I want to think the unrelenting teen angst in this book is meant to be a spoof of the Wimpy Kid books and the Vampire genre in general, but if it is I missed the joke.  
This book isn’t for me but maybe you loved it.  Send out a comment if I just trashed you favorite book.  Not every book is for every person so I won’t tell you not to read it, but I wish I skipped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Teen librarian living in Colorado.

Followers


Recent Comments