Sunday, June 20, 2010

Madapple by Christina Meldrum


          Aslaug is a fifteen year old girl who has been raised in isolation.  Here mother is dutch, and she came to the United States because she was a brilliant student.  The mother moved into a remote house without electricity shortly after Aslaug was born.  This is the story of Aslaug’s life, and her mother’s death.  
          Told in chapters that alternate between Aslaug telling her own story and a court case that is going on, we get to here the story unfold both as Aslaug sees it and as outsiders see it.  The story was interesting; filled with herbal medicine and religious myths, but it fell flat for me.  I read the book to the end because the idea of the story was so interesting, but the story never got there for me.  Aslaug was a character I couldn't relate to or empathize with.  That is just my opinion because it got a starred review from School Library Journal and Booklist.  You don’t have to take my word for it.  Read it yourself and send me some comments.  
         I would recommend this for upper high school students who are interested in religious mythology from various cultures, and those who like reading about herbal medicine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Teen librarian living in Colorado.

Followers


Recent Comments