Thursday, May 20, 2010

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters


 
          Daelyn hates her life. She has tried to kill herself several times, but she has never been successful. She won’t make another mistake. This time she will get her suicide right. She joins a website called www.through-the-light.com. This is a site for completers; people who want to get their suicide right.
          The story opens after Daelyn gets out of the hospital from her last attempt. The last time she tried to commit suicide she damaged her vocal cords and now she can’t talk at all. She uses her silence as a shield to keep everyone away from her.
          To spite her best attempts to alienate everyone and keep herself from feeling anything, she meets and is befriended by a boy who lives across the street from her school. Will one friendship be enough to live for, or will she really end her life?
          I usually hate books like this. I don’t like the serious tone, or the fact that I know real people feel the way that this girl feels. It puts a knot in my stomach to know kids get bullied. Sometimes the event itself is minor, but then it becomes bigger as the kid thinks about it and lives with it. I liked the book. It took me out of my comfort zone. It’s a great book to read and think about. It’s a discussion starter of a book. .
          This book reminds me of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Both books are about suicide. Both books are about bullying. In Thirteen Reasons Why the parents are absent. We don’t really find out much about them. In this book the parents are there every day. They do what good parents would do. I like that the adults are caring and that they play a major part in the story. With Thirteen Reasons Why you know there will be no happy ending from the very first page. This book gives you a little hope…But is it enough. Both books are must reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Teen librarian living in Colorado.

Followers


Recent Comments